Thailand Work Permit

Thailand Work Permit

To get a work permit in Thailand, you need an employer who hires you. That can be any Thai Company like a Hotel, Dive Center or maybe even the government as an English Teacher. Even your Thai wife might be your employer and get a Work Permit for you if you want to run a smaller business.

To get a work permit for a foreigner, the company ( who wants to employ a foreigner needs a registered capital of at least 2 Million Baht for every work permit. So 4 Mill. for 2, 6 Mill. for 3 and so on. Further more it needs to employ at least 4 Thais for every foreigner they want to employ.

However, the employer can also be your “own company”, which hires you usually as a “Managing Director”

To apply for a work permit you’ll have to bring a huge amount of papers to the labor office. That includes copies of every page of your passport with a Non Im “B” Visa, a map that locates your working place, a hierarchy of the company, all company papers with all shareholders and all their ID copies, photos, application form, proof of your qualification for this job and a letter stating why you should make this job and not a Thai citizen.

However, at the Labour Office you will receive a list of all documents you’ll have to provide.

If you apply for a job and you don’t have a Non Im “B” Visa yet, you must bring all other papers to the labor office and they will issue a “WP3” form, which you have to take to a Thai Embassy in one of the neighboring countries to apply for a Non Immigrant Visa, Class “B”. Usually with one entry only.

After the new regulations the embassy you will only issue a 3-month Visa with only 1 entry, stating that you’ll have to show your work permit next time you apply for a Visa.

Workpermits are now issued always for 1 Year, independently of the validation of your visa. This makes it a little easier. Some years ago you had to extend your workpermit always together with your Business Visa.

Note: In Thailand, especially in the tourist centers you can find a number of law offices which are specialized on setting up companies  for foreigners and handling the application for workpermits. You have to pay for it, however.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.