Living in Thailand | cost of living | visa thailand

Visa For Thailand - Thai visa

If you want to stay for a longer period in Thailand, you must have a Visa! Thai Embassies & Consulates offer different types of Visa for Thailand:

The 30 Day Entry stamp (Visa Exemption Stamp)

People from 42 countries will get a stamp in their passports on arrival with a temporary permit of stay for 30 days, if you arrive by plane. If you arrive in Thailand by bus, train or car however, you will only get a 15 day permission to stay.

Starting August 2014, this "Entry Stamp" may be extended once at the local immigration office for another 30 days for 1900 Baht.

Multiple Visa or Border Runs every 15 or 30 days to extent your stay in Thailand are not allowed anymore. If you want to stay in Thailand for longer period, you are advised to get a proper visa (Tourist or Non Immigrant) first.

Thailand Visa | Immigration

The Tourist Visa

Thai Embassies or Consulates at your home country can issue Tourist Visas, good for 180 days and multiple entries. Each entry gives you a permission to stay in Thailand for 60 days. With this sort of Visa and some extensions and visa runs at the right time, it is possible to stay for up to 240 days in Thailand.

Please note that Thai- Embassies in Thailand's neighboring counties only issue Tourist Visas with one entry and good for 60 days! For the 180 day Visa you'll have to go back to your home country.

Important Note:

  • When entering Thailand, your passport must be valid for at least 6 month.
  • If you stay in your "own residence" you must report to the nearest Immigration Office within 24 Hours after arrival. For tourists this is done by the hotel management. (Download form here)

The Non Immigrant Visa "O" or "B"

This is the sort of Visa you should really have when you legally want to stay longer in Thailand. Non Im. "O" is available for those married with Thai citizens or retirees and "class "B" for those who want to engage in business in Thailand.

Please note that a Non Immigrant B Visa is not a work permit! Non Immigrant Visas are available again at your home county, valid for 1 Year with multiple entries. Embassies in neighboring countries however, will issue only 90 days with 1 entry and a stamp that you have to present a work permit next time you come back. Also the form "WP3" from the labor department is necessary to obtain a "B" Visa in neighboring countries. Please see the work permit page for more details.

Especially retirees with the right papers can obtain Non IM"O" Visas at the Immigration Office in Bangkok. If you fulfill the requirements, this Visas can also be extended inside Thailand for up to one year and you can repeat this extension every year as long as you fulfill the requirements. (Enough money on the bank or a regular income) Please read the official page about this procedure of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok.